Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Human/Animal Bond--When to Say Goodbye

I'm sadly contemplating sending one of my babies to the rainbow bridge tonight. She's not been acting eight for quite some time, her seizure activity seems to have increased, and now, the worst, she is attacking the other dogs. This is the worst time for a pet owner. Deciding when it is time. The feelings of guilt begin to set in... Then the questions... What should I could I have done diffferently? Was I a good enough pet parent to her? Is this my fault? Should I try to medicate? Should I just let her go? When is too much too much?


Some would say she's just a dog. I would say if you believe that you may not really be my friend. I watch the whole gammit of emotions when this is playing out at the office. Some wail, some cry, some wipe their eyes, some detatch completely. This may be the most difficult part of the human animal bond trying to determine when it's time to let go. Trying to determine how compromised their quality of life actually is. Animals will try to please their owners to the very end, even to the point of attempting to comfort their owner with their final breath. At what point do we owe them the dignity of a quiet death and an end to their suffering? Did I do enough that she knew how much pleasure and joy she brought me during her all to short life?

No comments: